Free Admission to Winnipeg Police Museum
January 14 @ 10:00 am-3:00 pm
The Winnipeg Police Museum displays many artifacts related to the history of the Winnipeg Police Force, dating from its beginning in 1874.
The museum is located:
Winnipeg Police Headquarters
245 Smith Street
There is no entry fee and the building is wheelchair accessible.
10 a.m. – 3 p.m., Tuesday through Friday
Guided tours are available for groups of 6 or more people. To request a guided tour, please email us at least two weeks in advance with the details.
Special exhibits in the museum include:
- Displays of early equipment such as handcuffs, weapons and old books with handwritten entries. The early police identification camera is there along with “mug shots” of criminals and the glass negatives that the pictures were made from
- Memorabilia from the famous Winnipeg General Strike of 1919, including batons, armbands, and badges issued to the “Special Constables” who were quickly hired to replace the dismissed constables for the duration of the strike
- A display about Earle ‘The Strangler’ Nelson, a serial sex killer from the United States who was responsible for the deaths of many women across North America until he was captured in Manitoba and met his fate in Winnipeg
- A jail cell from the North End “E” Division built in 1911, which is an interesting attraction, especially to children
- A display on the dangers faced by officers in the line of duty. In addition to several bullet-proof vests that have been used for testing, there is one vest that was not intended for the test but in fact, saved the life of one officer when he was shot by a known drug dealer
- Large artifacts, including a restored 1925 REO Patrol Wagon and a restored 1978 Harley-Davidson and sidecar
DISCLAIMER: Winnipeg For Free is not associated with the hosts and organizers of this event and has minimal contact with them. Winnipeg for Free has no control over the changes in the date, time or location of events. Although, action is taken to find changes, they might not be updated in time.