Free Giveaway Weekend
September 8, 2018-September 9, 2018
Free Giveaway Weekend
Give your reusable unwanted items a new home and keep them out of the landfill!
- May 12 and 13, 2018
- September 8 and 9, 2018
What to do
- place unwanted, reusable household items at the curb on your front street
- label each item with a “FREE” (pdf – 13kb) sticker or sign
- keep any items safely stored away that you don’t want to give away
- remove leftover items from the curb by dusk on Sunday
What to give
- books, CDs, DVDs
- furniture, electronics, artwork, mirrors
- sports equipment, toys
- yard and gardening tools and equipment (e.g., lawn mowers, snow throwers, rakes, shovels)
- small appliances, kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans
- construction material (e.g., nails, paint, wood)
What not to give
- items harbouring bed bugs (e.g., mattresses, furniture, bedding)
- toilets (with a flush volume of 13 litres or more)
- visit the Consumer Product Safety Bureau to find out about items that aren’t safe to give away (e.g., baby walkers, lawn darts)
- Take only the items at the curb marked “FREE”.
- Check all items closely for bed bugs before you put them in your vehicle or bring them into your home.
- Respect other people’s property – don’t walk or drive on people’s lawns or gardens.
- Giveaway items should still be in good condition.
- Don’t discard any items on another person’s lawn.
- Obey the traffic laws at all times (e.g., don’t block traffic, park illegally or block people’s driveways with your vehicle) and watch out for children.
What to do with leftover items
- Consider donating unwanted items to:
- Diabetes Canada (clothing only)
- Goodwill Industries
- Salvation Army
- Local community gifting groups dedicated to keeping still useful items out of the landfill by offering them (free of charge) to others who are able to use them:
- Bulky items (e.g., furniture, mattresses) left at the curb will not be picked up with regular garbage collection. Contact 311 to arrange for special collection. A charge may apply.
- Leftover construction / renovation material will not be picked up with regular garbage collection. Please take it to a landfill.
DISCLAIMER: Winnipeg For Free is not associated with the hosts and organizers of this event and has minimal contact with them. Winnipeg for Free has no control over the changes in the date, time or location of events. Although, action is taken to find changes, they might not be updated in time.