Public health officials advise that one new death in a person with COVID-19 has been reported today:
• a male in his 70s from the Winnipeg health region, linked to the B.1.1.7 variant of concern.
The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 7.2 per cent provincially and 8.2 per cent in Winnipeg. As of 9:30 a.m. today, 295 new cases of the virus have been identified. However, five cases have been removed due to data correction. This brings the net-new number of cases today to 290 and the total number of lab-confirmed cases in Manitoba to 38,729.
Today’s COVID-19 data shows:
• 12 cases in the Interlake–Eastern health region;
• 17 cases in the Northern health region;
• 50 cases in the Prairie Mountain Health region;
• 29 cases in the Southern Health–Santé Sud health region; and
• 187 cases in the Winnipeg health region.
The testing site at 3975 Portage Ave. in Winnipeg will close tomorrow, Saturday, May 1 as the site needs the space for regular operations. The final day for testing will be today. For alternative testing locations and to book an appointment online visit www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/testing/locations.html.
As Manitoba moves through its third wave, testing numbers have begun to increase steadily. Public health officials are reminding Manitobans that in most cases, they should only seek testing at a provincial test site if they are symptomatic, have been identified as a close contact or have been directed to be tested by public health. This will help ensure those who need to be tested can continue to access testing as easily as possible.